This Intersect360 Research report presents vendor revenue and market shares for storage in the High Performance Computing (HPC) market for 2019.
Intersect360 Research defines HPC as the use of servers, clusters, and supercomputers—plus associated software, tools, components, storage, and services—for scientific, engineering, or analytical tasks that are particularly intensive in computation, memory usage, or data management. Intersect360 Research reports available in this series include the following segmentations:
- Products and services: servers, storage, networks, software, service, cloud, other
- Vertical markets: academia, national security, national research labs, national agencies, state or local governments, bio sciences, chemical engineering, consumer product manufacturing, electronics, energy, financial services, large product manufacturing, media and entertainment, retail, transportation, other
- Regions: North America, EMEA, Asia-Pacific, Latin America
- Server class (HPC server revenue): entry-level, midrange, high-end, supercomputer
- Cloud categories (HPC cloud revenue): raw cycles, cloud storage, application hosting (SaaS), infrastructure hosting (IaaS, PaaS), other
- Software categories (HPC software revenue): operating environments, developer tools, middleware, storage software, transfer costs, application software, other
- Services categories (HPC services revenue): maintenance and repair, system engineering, system integration, training, programming services, other
- HPC server market shares (current year only, not forecast)
- HPC storage market shares (current year only, not forecast)
The HPC storage market worldwide was $5.8 billion in 2019, up 2.7% from 2018. In 2019 the growth rate for on-premise storage systems was suppressed by the continued expansion in cloud computing, together with an increase in managed services contracts, facilities outsourcing, or other indirect arrangements that might be termed “cloud-like.”
While 2019 showed modest growth overall in HPC storage revenue, results were markedly different between vendors. The prevailing story is that the leading market share vendors lost revenue, and this was made up by large gains from other vendors.
In 2019, Dell EMC continued to hold the number-one market share position for HPC storage systems. Dell EMC has been the top vendor by revenue since 2017, after Dell’s acquisition of EMC. Dell EMC’s position is based on a complete range of storage solutions for HPC and is tied to the company’s strong position in HPC servers, where it is essentially a co-leader, less a half-point of market share behind HPE.
NetApp struggled in 2019. Some of this revenue “loss” is related to a partnership, launched in late 2018, allowing Lenovo to resell NetApp storage solutions in HPC under Lenovo brands. Nevertheless, NetApp did lose market share overall; the reseller arrangement with Lenovo makes the change more profound. NetApp’s loss of market share was significant enough to move it down to the number-three position, behind HPE. While the top four companies all lost market share in 2019, HPE experienced the smallest drop. Lenovo was the largest HPC storage vendor to experience growth in 2019. Atos and DDN posted the highest year-over-year growth rates.
This report gives specific HPC storage revenues, shares, and analysis for Atos, DDN, Dell EMC, Fujitsu, HPE, IBM, Lenovo, and NetApp. These eight vendors were responsible for close to 75% of HPC storage market revenue. This report also includes brief discussion of other noteworthy vendors, including Hitachi Data Systems (HDS), Huawei, Inspur, Intel, Panasas, Quantum, Qumulo, Spectra, and WekaIO.
EXECUTIVE SUMMARY 2
TABLE OF CONTENTS 4
HPC Storage 5
What Is HPC? 6
HPC 2019 MARKET PERFORMANCE: VENDOR STORAGE REVENUE AND SHARES 7
Table 1: HPC Storage Revenue ($000), 2019 vs. 2018, by Vendor, with Revenue Shares 8
Figure 1: HPC Storage Revenue Shares by Vendor, 2019 8
Figure 2: HPC Storage Revenue ($000) by Vendor, 2018-19 9
Log into Your Account
New here? Create an Account
Your account has been created. Close this popup and you're ready to go!