Intersect360 Research surveyed the High Performance Computing (HPC) user community to complete its eleventh Site Census study. The study is a look at their
current computer system installations, storage systems, networks, middleware, and application software supporting these computer installations.
This report provides a detailed analysis of the weather, climate, and environment modeling applications installed among respondents to our HPC User Site Census survey. Our
goal in this analysis is to provide an overview of the weather and climate applications space, including the breadth of applications and those that
are most commonly used.
Our Site Census survey results can be found in many reports, including the following:
- HPC System Configurations and Technologies
- HPC System Vendors Installed
- HPC Storage Configurations and Technologies
- HPC Storage Vendors Installed
- HPC Networking Technologies
- HPC Processing Technologies (Including Accelerators)
- HPC Operating System Installations
- HPC Middleware and Tool Installations
- HPC Application Installations (segmented into application domains):
- Business: Business intelligence, analytics, pattern recognition, ERP, CRM, security, complex event processing, general business
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
- Engineering: Structural analysis, electronic design automation (EDA), general engineering
- Finance and economics
- Scientific research
- Visualization and image analysis
- Weather modeling, climate modeling, environment modeling
Weather simulation and climate modeling are classic applications in HPC, the fifth-most cited application domain in our most recent Site Census survey
analysis, with 186 (7.5%) of the 2,466 mentions. In weather and climate modeling, no ISV applications were mentioned at all from survey respondents.
This is the only application domain in which one of the three application source categories (ISV, in-house, open-source) failed to appear. The majority
of application mentions in the weather and climate category were open-source, accounting for over three-quarters (77%) of application mentions.
Table 1: HPC User Site Census Responses for Application Analysis
HPC APPLICATION USAGE: WEATHER AND CLIMATE APPLICATIONS
Figure 1: HPC User Site Census Applications by Domain
Figure 2: Source of Weather/Climate/Environment Applications (Open-Source, In-House, ISV)
Figure 3: Source of Weather/Climate/Environment Applications, by Economic Sector
Table 2: Top Named Weather/Climate Applications in HPC User Site Census Survey
INTERSECT360 RESEARCH ANALYSIS